The 13 Best Automatic Cat Toys For Interactive Feline Fun!
iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
The best automatic cat toys provide interactive fun that brings you and your kitty closer together. And while tightening the bond between you, interactive cat toys offer endless joy, physical exercise, and mental stimulation—three ingredients to a happy and healthy cat! So, check out our list of the best interactive cat toys and treat your feline to a new prize or two.
Plus, find out what makes an interactive toy a win with our buyer’s guide and FAQS about automatic cat toys.
The 13 Best Automatic Cat Toys
1 – Petstages Nina Ottosson Buggin’ Out Puzzle & Play – Interactive Cat Treat Puzzle
Food and fun are two of a cat’s favorite things, and this interactive cat treat puzzle delivers both! Simply place dry food or treats in the hidden compartments and watch your cat’s natural foraging instincts go to work. And as your brilliant feline figures out the puzzle, the difficulty level can be raised. There are no removable parts for safety, and the puzzle is made from food-safe materials.
- Holds up to ¼ cup of food
- Stimulates mind & body
- Easy to clean
- Lightweight but durable
- Slides on floors
2 – Petstages Tower of Tracks Interactive 3-Tier Cat Toy
Your kitty will have a ball with this tiered cat toy. Three tracks offer paw-batting fun that doesn’t stop until they do. Put a ball or two in each track and watch your cat get busy trying to catch them all. No matter their age, cats just can’t resist. And because safety is key, the Tower of Tracks features a small safety bar across the top that keeps cats from sticking their paws or heads inside the tower.
- Includes 3-6 balls
- Loved by cats & their parents
- Great for one or multiple cats
- Engages hunting instincts
- Great price
- Easy to assemble
- Can be flipped over easily, but cats still have fun with it
3 – MeoHui Cat Toys for Indoor Cats, Interactive Cat Toy 2PCS Retractable Cat Wand Toy
Wand toys for cats are a great way to provide exercise and engage hunting instincts. And this two-piece set will be your cat’s favorite toy ever, thanks to all the clip-on toys that come included. Whether your cat’s prey preference runs to the squirmy or the feathery, they’ll be happy to catch these toys! Just change them out via an easy-to-use clip depending on your cat’s preference. Plus, the telescopic wand design offers plenty of space between you and the toy, removing your hands from the scratch zone.
- Great way for you and your cat to play together safely
- Flexible and lightweight
- Wands collapse for easy storage
- Toys are easy to change out
- Highly-rated cat toy with thousands of positive reviews
- Strings can be chewed if not stored safely out of reach
4 – Kong Bat-A-Bout Glow Aquarium Cat Toy
Give your kitty an aquarium they’re allowed to put their paws in! This wobbly bowl with paw holes features dangling fish, fluttery feathers, and premium North American catnip to entice your cat to play. And when it’s dark, turn on the aquarium ball, and your kitty will be mesmerized by the glowing fiber optics. Be sure to switch lights off after play to help extend battery life.
- Batteries included
- So cute!
- Hard for cats to pull toys out, keeping them intact longer
- Batteries drain fast
- A bit pricey
5 – Catit Senses 2.0 Mushroom Interactive Feather Toy for Cats
This adorable interactive feather toy will tease your kitty with a red feather toy that randomly pops in and out of the eight holes scattered on the top and bottom of the mushroom top. It’s three hundred and sixty degrees of hunt-and-catch fun. And once your cat de-feathers the feather, you can buy replacements so the fun can continue. This mushroom cat toy can also be used with other Catit Senses 2.0 cat toys to set up a whole play center for your cat.
- Cute design
- Cats enjoy the chase
- Replacement feathers available
- Built-in motion sensor
- On the noisy side
6 – Cat Dancer Products Rainbow Cat Charmer
Another cat wand toy for your consideration, this option gives your kitty a rainbow felt ribbon to chase and catch. The ribbon is made of brightly-colored fleece that bounces and flows for lots of action. Plus, the ribbon is soft and stretchy. Playing with a Cat Dancer wand gives you and your furry one great together time while providing them with plenty of exercise.
- Made with non-toxic and safe materials
- Thousands of positive reviews from cat parents
- Wand is flexible to avoid breakage
- Durable for repeated use
- Made in the USA
- Great price
- Fleece can be chewed; store wand out of reach
7 – Potaroma Flopping Fish with SilverVine and Catnip
Every cat needs a flopping fish toy, and the Potaroma option delivers your little hunter a durable fish kicker cat toy that wiggles to get away! And don’t worry about harmful materials, as the fish covering is made from durable and non-toxic plush that’s safe for your cat to chew and bite. To operate, unzip the fish belly, flip the switch on, and tap the fish belly to make the fish flop. When the flopping stops, your cat just has to slap it to get it going again.
- Battery capacity has been upgraded to 350 mAh
- Fish cover is washable
- No smelly padding or toxic plastics
- Affordably priced
- The noise may put off some cats
8 – PetSafe Bolt Laser Cat Toy
Take laser play to new lengths with this automatic cat laser toy! Simply hold it in your hand or place it on a flat surface, turn it on, and watch your kitty pounce, chase and bat at the intriguing laser patterns. Automatic mode moves the laser in random ways for hands-free play while you’re busy or away. Manual mode lets you control the fun and create your own light patterns for interactive playtime with your cat. Timer automatically turns the laser off after 15 minutes to conserve battery life.
- Cats love chasing the laser
- Can be hung, hand-held, or placed on flat surface
- Suitable for kittens and adult cats
- Loud motor
- Laser can be faint
9 – Danigh-buy Cat Pointer Toy
Every cat caretaker should have a laser pointer on hand as they’re classic cat toys that provide great physical activity. But for laser toy fun with something extra, try this pointer and see how your cat likes the seven adjustable light pattern options. Plus, it works as a mini-flashlight when you have to find cat toys that have been batted under the furniture!
- Durable materials
- Easy to use
- Fun patterns
- Great price
- Highly-rated on Amazon
- Can be a bit bright for some cats
10 – HEXBUG Mega Cat Toy Pack
Kittens and cats will freak out when you give them this mega pack of cat toys! And because it’s full of electronic and remote-controlled cat toys, you’ll find Hexbug brings fun to both of you. This deluxe pack contains one Nano Cat Toy, one Mouse Cat Toy, one Rowdy Treat Launcher, a Pester the Pigeon Laser Cat Toy, and one Remote Control Mouse Cat Toy. And just so you know, and aren’t disappointed, only Rowdy the Treat Launcher and the R/C Mouse Cat Toy are controllable via I/R remote control. All toys are battery-powered and include LR44/AG13 button cells and AAA batteries.
- Has a toy to tempt every cat and kitten
- Great intro to tech toys for cats
- Toys can withstand heavy paw smacks
- Great for families with multiple cats
- Not for use on carpet or rugs
11 – AUKL Interactive Cat Toys Ball with Super Driver
This fun cat toy is powered by a motor that moves it around randomly, encouraging your cat to chase and play. And you can make this interactive call ball even more appealing by dressing it in one of the included furry skins and trailing tails. It also has a built-in speaker that plays bird sounds, further stimulating your cat’s hunting instinct.
- Comes with fun accessories to make it even more appealing
- Powered by a rechargeable motor
- Equipped with a built-in speaker
- Easy to use
- Bird sounds may not appeal to all cats
12 – Catit Senses 2.0 Digger
This fun interactive cat feeder encourages cats to work for their food. The feeder has five green cups that can be filled with food or treats. And to get the food out, cats must use their wits and paws to reach in and drag the food over the rim of the cup. This helps slow eating, which can help prevent obesity and other health problems related to gulping down food while stimulating their brain and satisfying their instincts.
- Helps to slow down eating
- Made of durable plastic
- Comes with an optional rubber base to stop sliding
- Lots of little pieces to wash
13 – Potaroma Cat Toys 3-in-1 Automatic Interactive Kitten Toy
This 3-in-1 toy features three play modes: a fluttering butterfly, a random moving ambush feather, and balls on a track. The butterfly and feather are attached to a wand that moves around randomly, encouraging your cat to chase and play. The track balls are powered by a motor that makes them move around, which provides your cat with some exercise. The toy also comes with two refills for the butterfly and feather, so you can replace them when your kitty destroys them!
- Keeps cats entertained
- Durable materials
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Refills included
- Reasonable price for such a big toy
- A bit noisy
- Butterfly and feathers can be easily lost
Factors to Consider When Buying Automatic Interactive Cat Toys
When buying cat toys that are automatic, keep these factors in mind:
Type of Toy
Interactive cat toys come in all shapes and sizes to interest cats in playing with them. Some popular styles include feather wands, laser pointers, spinners, and cat-treat food toys. You can even find zoomy little toys on wheels resembling the furry and feathered prey to which cats are naturally drawn. To find the best automatic toy for your cat, think about their prey preference. Are they drawn to feathers, worms, fuzzy mice, or crinkly fish? After all, if you’re going to spend some cash on a cat toy, you’ll want to choose what interests them most.
Quality and Durability
Look for high-quality toys made from sturdy materials that can withstand regular use by your cat. Any cat toy you consider should be made to withstand those claws and fangs of feline fury! Make sure toys for your cat can’t be shredded and swallowed and won’t pinch their precious toe beans.
Size and Design
Choose a toy that’s an appropriate size for your cat’s age and breed. Some automatic cat toys might be too big for kittens and vice versa for adult cats. Your kitty’s energy level should also be considered when choosing, as some felines are non-stop fireballs that will love a high-action toy with a motion setting that’s always ready. Other kitties may enjoy leisurely play and won’t like toys that zoom around too fast. Also, be sure cats who are born hunters get toys that mimic the movement of prey or natural objects they like to hunt to make it worth their time.
Some automatic cat toys have programmable features that allow you to set custom play times or adjust the speed and direction of the toy’s movement. Lots of manufacturers also make motion-sensor cat toys that start up when cats trigger it, so it’s not continually running and draining the batteries.
Some automatic cat toys can be noisy, which may scare or stress some cats. Consider the toy’s noise level to ensure that it won’t disrupt or upset your cat. Read reviews looking specifically for complaints about noise levels if your cat doesn’t care for noisy cat toys.
Always choose automatic cat toys that are safe and free from hazardous materials that can harm felines. Choose reputable brands that design toys with fun and safety in mind. And again, read those reviews. Other cat parents will have plenty to say if a toy is dangerous or caused harm to their fur babies.
FAQs About Automatic Cat Toys
What are interactive toys for cats?
Interactive cat toys are designed to engage a cat’s natural instincts to hunt, pounce, and play. These toys are intended to create a fun and challenging experience for cats while also providing them with exercise and mental stimulation. Plus, they’re an excellent way for you and your cat to play together.
The best interactive cat toys come in various shapes and forms, including:
- Feather wands: Feather wands are long sticks with feathers or other items attached to the end. They mimic the movement of birds or other prey and can stimulate your cat’s natural hunting instincts.
- Puzzle feeders: Puzzle feeders require cats to work through a maze or obstacle to reach their food or treats. This can engage your cat’s problem-solving skills and promote mental stimulation.
- Laser pointers: Laser pointers create the little red dot that drives cats wild. All that chasing provides excellent exercise for cats, especially those with a high energy level.
- Fluttering toys: Flutter toys feature some sort of small attractant like a bird or butterfly attached to a motorized base. With the press of a button, the toy whirls around and around to get kitties pouncing and swatting.
- Ball toys: Interactive ball toys come in various designs, including treat balls or motorized balls that move randomly to create a more active playtime experience.
- Tunnel toys: Tunnel toys can range from simple fabric tunnels to complex multi-level play structures. These toys encourage cats to explore and provide a hiding place for them to feel safe. Plus, watching a cat blast through a tunnel at high speed is fun!
- Interactive tablets: These specialized tablets provide a touchscreen environment for cats to play with digital toys that mimic real-life hunting. Birds, fish, or mice, you’ll find the digital pray to dive them wild.
Are electronic toys good for cats?
Electronic cat toys are a great way to keep your cat entertained and healthy and provide benefits like:
- Reducing boredom and destructive behavior – Cats are naturally active creatures and need plenty of opportunities to exercise and play. If your cat is bored, they may engage in destructive behaviors, such as scratching furniture or chewing on things they shouldn’t. Interactive cat toys can help keep your cat entertained and prevent these behaviors.
- Promoting mental stimulation – Cats are intelligent creatures who need mental stimulation just like humans do. Interactive cat toys can help to keep your cat’s mind active and sharp.
- Strengthening the bond between you and your cat – Playing with your cat is a great way to bond with them and strengthen your relationship. Interactive cat toys can make playtime more fun for both of you.
If you’re looking for a way to keep your cat entertained and healthy, interactive cat toys are a great option. With so many different types of toys available, you’ll surely find one your cat will love.
Are automatic cat toys safe for my cat to play with?
Automatic cat toys can be safe for cats to play with as long as they’re used responsibly and under supervision. It’s important to choose high-quality toys that are durable and made from non-toxic materials. When introducing an automatic cat toy to your cat, read the instructions carefully and test it first to ensure it works correctly. Regularly inspect the toy for any signs of damage or wear and replace it if necessary.
Supervising your cat while playing with automatic toys is important to ensure their safety. Some toys have small parts or cords that pose a choking hazard, while others may have moving parts that can accidentally pinch or trap your cat. Additionally, some cat toys may be noisier than others, which can be stressful or overwhelming for some cats.
Lastly, like all toys, automatic cat toys should be used in moderation and not relied upon solely for your cat’s entertainment. It’s essential to provide variety and interactive playtime with your cat through activities like playing with wand toys or scratching posts, as playing with your cat helps to promote bonding and mental stimulation.
Do automatic cat toys require batteries or electricity to function?
Most electric cat toys with motorized features and sensors operate using batteries. Some use rechargeable batteries that allow you to charge the device via a USB cord, while others use disposable batteries. It’s a good idea to stick with rechargeable cat toys if possible, as all that motion tends to drain batteries.
Can I leave my cat alone with an automatic toy?
Leaving a cat alone with an automatic toy is not recommended. While interactive toys can provide cats with extra stimulation and entertainment, they should always be used under supervision. Leaving your cat unattended with any kind of toy, including electric cat toys, can pose a risk of injury or potential harm to your kitty. If the toy malfunctions or your cat becomes too excited while playing, accidents can happen. Additionally, cats may become bored with the toy after a while and lose interest, leaving the toy to malfunction unsupervised.
Always supervise playtime with automatic toys for your cat’s safety and well-being. And when you’re not around, safely store the automatic toys to avoid any potential mishaps.
How long do automatic cat toys last before they need to be replaced?
The lifespan of automatic cat toys varies depending on the type of toy, the materials used, and how often the toy is used. High-quality automatic cat toys can last a long time, while others may deteriorate or malfunction after just a few uses. How rough your fierce feline plays can also determine how long a toy lasts. Eventually, though, anything your cat plays with will become worn, frayed, or ripped. Inspect your cat’s toy regularly for wear and tear, and replace any damaged parts when necessary.
For an interactive cat toy that lasts, choose options made from hard plastic or tough fabric that can stand up to cat claws and teeth. Regularly cleaning and maintaining the toy can also help add to its longevity.
How do I clean my automatic cat toy?
Cleaning your automated cat toy is important to help keep it in good condition and prevent it from becoming a breeding ground for germs. It’s important to read the manufacturer’s instructions before cleaning your automatic cat toy, as some toys may require specific cleaning methods or materials. In general, though, here are some steps you can follow to clean your automatic cat toy:
- Turn off the toy and unplug it if it has a power source.
- Disassemble the toy as needed (if applicable).
- Using a damp cloth, wipe down the toy to remove any debris or dirt.
- You can soak the toy in warm, soapy water (if waterproof) or use a cat-friendly disinfectant spray for a deeper clean.
- Scrub any hard-to-reach areas or crevices with a soft-bristled brush.
- Rinse the toy thoroughly with clean water.
- Dry the toy completely with a clean towel, or let it air dry.
- Reassemble the toy and store it safely until it’s ready to be used again.
Additionally, ensure the toy is completely dry before using it again to prevent electrical hazards.
Can an automatic cat toy help my cat get more exercise?
Absolutely! The best interactive cat toys will get your kitty moving! Playtime with automatic toys will help your cat get the exercise they need to keep their bodies fit and healthy while also giving their minds a workout. Schedule fifteen-minute playtime sessions with your cat twice daily to help them feel fulfilled and content.
Remember, these interactive cat toys are our favorite picks and are high-quality and durable options, but as with any cat toy, always supervise your cat during playtime. After play, look for breakage and wear, making sure to replace them when necessary. And always store toys, especially wand toys, out of reach when you’re not there to keep an eye on things.
[templatera id= “3493224”]
iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
The post The 13 Best Automatic Cat Toys For Interactive Feline Fun! appeared first on iHeartCats.com.